Accredited Veteran Friendly Practice
We are an Armed Forces veteran friendly accredited GP practice.
This means that, as part of the health commitments of the Armed Forces Covenant, we have a dedicated clinician who has a specialist knowledge of military related health conditions and veteran specific health services. This is important in helping ex-forces to get the best care and treatment.
If you are ex-forces, please let your GP know to help ensure you are getting the best possible care.
To find out more, ask your nurse or GP.
Local Support for Veterans
STAND TO Veteran Support - this is a service dedicated to Derbyshire's Forces community.
Tel: 01246 959333 Mon-Fri 9am-5pm
Standto have regular events around Derbyshire for members. Please follow the link below for current events or when you are next in the surgery, please take a look at the Veterans notice board in our waiting room.
Derbyshire Alcohol Advice Service
First Floor, Dents Chambers, 81 New Square, Chesterfield, S40 1AH
Tel 01246 206514 Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
Military Veterans – Priority NHS Care
The government has pledged to support Military Veterans with priority NHS Care and as an accredited veteran friendly GP practice, we aim to provide the highest standard of care under the Veterans Patient Charter.
Veteran Friendly Practice Accreditation Certificate Veteran Friendly Practice Accreditation Certificate
Veterans Patient Charter Patient Charter
Who is defined as a veteran? A veteran is someone who has served in the armed forces for at least one day in the regular or reservist forces. There are around 4.5 million veterans in the UK.
All veterans are entitled to priority access to NHS hospital care for any condition as long as it related to their service, regardless of whether or not they receive a war pension.
Top tips for getting the right care and support:
• Register with a GP: It is important to register with a GP, rather than wait until you need treatment. Visit the NHS website to find out details of a local GP Prctice near to you.
• Tell your GP that you’ve served in the UK Armed Forces: Ask for the term ‘military veteran’ to be recorded in your patient record in the GP computer system. This will help your GP to better understand any military related health conditions that you may have and ensure that you are referred, where appropriate, to dedicated health and wellbeing services for veterans.
• Give your GP the paperwork that your military medical centre gave you, including any medical records: If you’ve recently left the forces, it is important to do this to help ensure your military health record transfers to your NHS health record. This will give your GP information on your health and ensure that any ongoing care and treatment is continued
Please see below for more details of NHS help available to military veterans.
UK Organisations and Support for Veterans -
Find healthcare and welfare support dedicated to veterans, service leavers, non-mobilised reservists,
and their families and carers:
Priority healthcare treatment for Veterans in England and Wales
Tel: 0808 802 1212
NHS - Op Courage
Dedicated health services for the Armed Forces community Op COURAGE: The Veterans Mental Health and Wellbeing Service
Op COURAGE: The Veterans Mental Health and Wellbeing Service, is the new overarching name for the Veterans’ Mental Health Transition, Intervention and Liaison Service (TILS), Veterans’ Mental Health Complex Treatment Service (CTS) and Veterans’ Mental Health High Intensity Service (HIS). The new name has been developed following feedback from veterans and their families to make it easier for those leaving the military and veterans to find help.
Op COURAGE is for Service leavers, reservists, veterans and their families, who can contact the service direct, or ask a GP, charity or someone else, such as a family member or friend, to refer them.
For further information, including contact details for the service in your region, visit
Combat Stress which provides mental health advice and support to veterans.
Combat Stress https://combatstress.org.uk/
HELPLINE: 0800 1381619
TEXT: 07537 173683
Armed Forces Covenant
Help for Heros
SSAFA: The Armed Forces Charity
Supporting Older Veterans 0800 260 6767
Royal British Legion
Remembering ALL Veterans this Remembrance Day
We're proud to be a Veteran Friendly Accredited GP practice and to support our veteran community this Remembrance Day.
We know that this Rememberance Day is likely to be particularly challenging for the many veterans in our community and we want you to know that we are trained and committed to effectively identifying your health needs.
As a Veteran Friendly Accredited practice, our team:
- recognises the importance of identifying veteran patients within our community
- understands the unique health needs that veterans have
- strive to provide veterans with the very best care and support
- knows about the specialist veteran healthcare services that exist
- undertakes regular training and development to ensure we're able to deliver the very best care to veterans inour community and meet the health ncommitments of the Armed Forces Covenant
If you're a veteran patient, please do let us know that you have served so that we can make sure you receive the most appropriate and best care, if and when you ever need it.